“Loving a child doesn’t mean giving in to all his whims; to love him is to bring out the best in him, to teach him to love what is difficult.”
— Nadia Boulanger (celebrated French conductor, teacher of musical composition, 1887-1979)
SSC Cooperative Preschool Handbooks:
- Positive Parenting On-line
- The Educator’s Reference Desk
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Speech, Languge and Hearing Association
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
A Variety for your Bookshelf:
Every child and every parent is unique. One book would never suffice!
- Becoming the Parent You Want to Be, A Sourcebook of Strategies for the First Five Years by Laura Davis and Janis Keyser
- Beyond Behavior Management:The Six Life Skills Children Need to Thrive in Today’s World by Jenna Bilmes
- The Dance of Anger by Harriet Goldhor Lerner, Ph.D.
- Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky A. Bailey, Ph.D.
- Family First by Dr. Phil McGraw
- Gesell Institute Books: Your One Year Old, Your Two Year Old, etc. by Ames & Ilg
- The Heart of Parenting, Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman Ph.D.
- The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.
- How Much Is Enough? by Jean Illsley Clarke
- How to Raise a Child with a High EQ by Lawrence E. Shapiro Ph.D.
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Is This a Phase? (Child Development & Parent Strategies Birth – 6 years) by Helen F. Neville
- Kids Can Cooperate by Elizabeth Crary
- Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv
- Love and Anger, The Parent Dilemma by Nancy Samalin
- Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary
- Mind in the Making by Ellen Galinsky
- Multiple Intelligences by Howard Gardner
- Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
- Parenting Tips & Tools by Elizabeth Crary
- Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel Siegel
- Pick Up Your Socks by Elizabeth Crary
- Positive Discipline for Preschoolers by Jane Nelson Ed. D.
- Positive Discipline for the First Three Years by Jane Nelson Ed. D.
- Raising Compassionate, Courageous Children by Dr. Janice Cohn
- Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
- Real Boys by William Pollack, Ph.D.
- Remote Control Childhood? Combating the Hazards of Media Culture by Diane E. Levin
- The Mindful Brain by Daniel Siegel
- The Shelter of Each Other by Mary Pipher Ph.D.
- Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- The Six Stages of Parenthood by Ellen Galinsky
- The Sleep Book for Tired Parents by Rebecca Huntley MSW
- The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program by Dr. Polly Moore
- Television and the Lives of Our Children by Gloria DeGaetano, M.Ed.
- The Ten Greatest Gifts I Give My Children by Steven W. Vannoy
- What Should I Tell the Kids? by Ava L. Siegler, Ph.D.
- Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary
- Your Baby & Child from Birth to Age Five by Penelope Leach